Eight Years As Mrs. Logan Bloom!

     Life as Mrs. Logan Bloom these past eight years has been nothing short of an adventure and delight. Even the hard times have grown us so much that I am thankful for all of it. We have seen God pave our path with miracles every step of the way and grow our relationship even deeper as the years have gone by. I have to attest that Logan's character is a big reason it has been so great. He is so loving, kind-hearted, humble and doesn’t get angry. I am not just saying that, It is like a super power he has to stay calm and kind! At the top of my future husband hopes growing up, I gave myself in all caps this advice: "run from an angry man, marry someone who isn't an angry person." Logan is the opposite of an angry man. I want to be more like Logan.:) Eight years ago we were two starry eyed college kids wanting to go into ministry together, with nothing but hope for the future. Our hope was in God, in his ability to lead us, in his goodness and belief that he would take care of us every step of the way. I can honestly, with a smile on my face say that we have never been let down in any of that hope. Life has looked differently than expected, but our hope we had in God, never dashed. He has been so faithful!

     I've been asked what has surprised me the most about marriage and also, what has not surprised me. The thing I am most surprised by is that we are much better off than I expected we would be! My expectations for our young marriage and going into ministry were lower than what actually has happened. I was excited to live life together and had high expectations about life with Logan, but I thought we would have to live happily ever after in a tent to chase our dreams as much as we planned to. Logan and I laugh about how when we were engaged and still in college there was one point when we had close to nothing in the bank and said happily: "Im marrying a zeroinaire!!" And we both laughed and still laugh about that time. The amazing thing was we didn’t care and we weren’t afraid. We were just so happy! Our furniture in our John Brown University apartment included nothing but a blow up bed with a hole in it. What we had together was priceless and we knew it, and know it still. We were miraculously and obviously brought together by God. We knew without a shadow of a doubt that we were meant to be together. What I loved about starting off our marriage with close to nothing being college students, is that the only way to go for us was UP! It has been exciting to us both as we have seen God take care of us. Each house, car, and child have miracle stories behind them and God has built our faith through it all! We started out starry eyed kids, and I think we still are those kids, just older now. Inside we will always be those kids so in love, hope filled, and crazy about each other. Life gets in the way sometimes, but fighting to stay us will be our life's worthwhile adventure.
     What has not surprised me is that we are not as bad off as pre-married conferences told us we would be. I'll never forget sitting at an engaged couples marriage conference and hearing things like: "Your marriage has to die before it can come alive" and "Your first year is going to be horrible" etc. Like being married entailed horror, sackcloth and ashes. Logan and I both looked at each other that day and said "I know we will fight and have problems, but shouldnt we pray that God would give us a hope for something more?  Our marriage has had many highs and lows, as life does. There have been times we have sought counseling, even counseling just as regular check up, which I highly recommend. We have had times where we lose sight and the kids have come first, and we have to fight to focus on each other. There have been times we are both stressed and tired and not giving each other our best and other times we are putting in 110 percent into our relationship. We have disagreed, and fought, said I am sorry and forgiven. We have really gotten along and enjoyed each other's company. I still get giddy when I hear the garage door opening and I know he is home again! We have faced sickness, mostly on my part. We started Kansas City life with me having a hole in my foot from a procedure that Logan dressed everyday, I was not a glowing flawless bride by any means to start this journey off! At our one year anniversary I was so sick pregnant with Samuel that we could not even celebrate. We have also both had times of immense health and energy, ready to take on life and the world! We have had times of want and times of plenty. We have times of happiness and other times of heartache when things got tough or we felt loss together. We learned we grieve differently, but found ways to support the other even so. That was a little bumpy to navigate. We have had some really fun and carefree times as well. Logan is my best friend, through it all, he is mine. Robert Lewis gave great marriage advice at a class when he said: "Your marriage will have mountains and valleys, but don't give up when you're in the valley. A mountain top will happen again."
     I thank God for the blessing and joy this journey has been for us by his grace and help. I am thankful for the opportunity to try to run life well with my best friend and love. I am thankful for mentors, couples that lead by example and council that have helped us in hard times. I am thankful for marriage studies that have empowered us. I am thankful for people who have prayed for us. I am thankful for openenss and accountability with friends and family who help us. I am so thankful to be able to do life with Logan! I want to grow old enough to be one of those old couples that people smile about. :) Logan's great grandparents were married seventy-two years, in light of that, id say we are just newly weds. This is only the beginning...

Ecclesiastes 4:9: “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor: If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change

Realizations