A Few Thoughts About Exercise and Motherhood

         I don't really believe in before and after pictures when it comes to motherhood and fitness. Thinking back, the times I was not able to make regular workouts were times when my life was filled with important things like sticking to couch rest, so that my baby wouldn't come pre-term, or being up all night with a baby and recovering. I had a post partum thyroid condition as well for the first year after baby was born. When mothers see their new stretch marks or post partum body, its not a time to feel shame, but to feel happy that you were able to be everything your baby needed. Be proud of all that you have accomplished as a mama and how you have sacrificed for your little ones. I love that I can both be proud of all that I have done for my children and also look to my future as the possibility of being the healthiest me yet. My body isn't stuck where it has been or is at, but it should be appreciated every step of the way as a vessel of sacrificial love and service. To your family, you are the most beautiful person in the world. Let yourself feel that and believe it is true.

       I have had my fair share of eating too many chicken nuggets, over indulging on baked goods, and feeling too tired to be motivated to workout.After I had my second child, i'll never forget my first gym visit check in when the screen said "Its been 199 days, since this member has been to the gym". I looked at the person checking me in and he simply said with a smile "I've seen worse." No matter how many days its been, the day you start is what matters.  I went on to lose the baby weight that Summer. I still have goals and hopes, but I am taking it one day at a time and being kind to myself along the way.
        
      My fitness journey has become a spiritual journey for me. I spend my work out times listening to worship music, the audio Bible, or praying. I have also found that healthy living lessons, many times have become spiritual lessons.  Lessons about endurance, patience, running the race to the finish and many more have come alive to me through exercise and eating healthy. I also have to lean on Christ to help me to do it. I am also thankful that God healed me from my chronic facial bone infection December 2014. It was after that, that health became a gift and not just something I took for granted.

Here is to heading toward being my healthiest self yet, but appreciating where I have been and why I have been there. :)


 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change

Realizations